Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Who's Jack Burton?

Greetings! Welcome to my first attempt at a blog. There’s not going to be any real “theme” to my blog….I won’t focus on any particular topic, work, entertainment, sports, etc….I’m just going to write about what’s on my mind at that moment....

Don’t expect me to have correct grammar or splleing all the time…..this is not an English/Grammar paper….if you don’t like it, or want to grade me then go somewhere else….I just wanted a forum to write stuff that amuses me and may/may not amuse you. Hopefully I can steal a minute or two out of your day/night, especially if you’re at work surfing the net and are running out of things to check out.

I guess the first entry in my blog I should explain the title and why I picked it…..maybe I’ll slip in some tidbits about myself in there (or not).

What Jack Burton Says…..
I wasn’t sure what to name my first blog, I knew I wanted it to be “cool” and something that was familiar to me. I’m not smart enough to make it some clever, quirky saying, or a witty play-on-words-type title, so I just tried to think of some movie characters (from movies that I liked) that I thought were memorable and yet still a little “inside” enough to be considered “hip”.

My 2 finalists were Pvt Hudson (Aliens) and, of course, Jack Burton.
Pvt. Hudson is Bill Paxton’s character in Aliens. If you haven’t seen Aliens…kill yourself. If you don’t know who Bill Paxton is go to IMDB.com, find out who he is, then go to a mirror and call your self (in the words of Zach Galifiankis from Hangover) a re-tard. But if you don’t want to go to IMDB, then let me quote Pvt. Hudson and tell me if this doesn’t ring a bell. “That's it man, game over, man, game over!!!!”




Now who is Jack Burton.
For those “in the know”….you’ll already be a step ahead with the knowledge that Jack Burton is THE MAN. He’s the main character in Big Trouble in Little China. Ok, if you still lost….it’s Kurt Russell’s character in that movie. Go watch it and tell me that movie (as cheesy as it is) wasn’t ahead of it’s time. It had the cocky, cool, “hero” (Jack). It had not 1 but 2….TWO…hot chicks (one whitey and one asian chick), it had kung fu/karate, it had guns, it had magic wizard shit, and not only did this action movie try to scare you, it was funny as shit. Listen to the totally, dorky synthesizer music that the film uses as it’s “score”, and look at the freakin’ eighties neon lights all over the damn place!!! Half the shit that was cool then, became embarrassingly dated in the 90’s, but now is all “stylish” again! That was Jack Burton. Yeah, he was the “hero” of the movie, he had the Hollywood good looks, but if you pay attention, he really didn’t do shit. It was the tiny asian guy that actually kicked ass. Jack had his moments, but he was more comic relief….which was fine. Movie studios needed that cool white guy to sell the movie….which is probably why it tanked in the theaters back then. The movie studios tried to sell it as a serious action movie, when it really was John Carpenter’s version of a B-movie homage.


Now I actually wanted to use Pvt. Hudson and call the blog “Game Over, Man…” and http://www.gameoverman.blogspot.com/. But….
For anyone who knows me, they know I spent 4 years in the beloved Marine Corps. I didn’t want to use Hudson for my blog title and have people think, “Ooooh…..it’s because they were Marines in that movie, that’s why he picked that.” No, dummy that’s not it. It’s not that I care what other people think, but….I care what other people think. I think the character is the funniest thing in the movie, besides Sigourney Weaver’s man-haircut. Anyways that’s the first reason for not using him.


The second reason? http://www.gameoverman.blogspot.com/ was taken.

So there you have it.

Once again welcome, and hopefully you can spread the word to other to read my posts, so this place doesn’t end up being a stupid diary to myself.

And of course as Jack Burton says, “… You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

People like me this much...

You remember when I said...

Who the F is Jack Burton?